Monday 15 July 2013

The Rutland Arms, Sheffield

This is going to be a very brief post, for the simple reason that it's boiling hot and I can't really be bothered. The sooner I finish the sooner I can return to lolling around drinking ice cold stubbies of cheap French lager with my tongue hanging out like an overheated labrador. Just the latter bit like a labrador by the way, you shouldn't give your dog lager, not even in this weather.

Anyhow I'm just about bothering because I've been meaning to rave about the Rutland Arms for a while now. It's a rare gem of a pub, a pleasing mish-mash of traditional and modern melded together to form something a bit special. Old school pub decor and layout, beer choices to keep both the trad cask crowd and craft nerds happy, a mixed clientele and a lively atmosphere.

The food is an interesting proposition too, managing to do classic pub grub alongside something a bit different but with absolutely no nods to current fads or fashions. There are pies, sausages and carb-fest booze soaking chip butties in various guises, but also keenly priced and creative sounding vegetarian and fish dishes that pop up on the specials boards. Salads that sound worth the effort too, now that the heat is upon us.


I was last there a couple of weeks ago when it was still a bit fresh out, so I had the pie; chicken, mushroom and stilton. I'll excuse the china bowl with a pastry lid format, 'cos it was very nice. Lovely crumbly pastry and a soupy, cheesy filling rammed full of actual proper chicken pieces, you know like thigh meat and stuff. Great work. Nice chips too, but the veg was a bit pointless.

About seven quid for the pie, and good beer at normal pub prices. A damn fine pub this, you really should go. I've only been in chilly weather, but I'm pretty sure there's a beer garden.

9/10 for the pub, and what the hell let's call it an 8/10 for the food.

Rutland Arms
86 Brown Street
Sheffield
S1 2BS

http://www.rutlandarmspeople.co.uk

2 comments:

EleCrossland said...

Hi there

How are you? I hope that the weather with you is good and you are enjoying the summer.

I work for Square Meal, a restaurant review directory based in London. I just came across your blog and really liked it. I see that you do some great restaurant review blog posts and wondered if you’d be interested in linking them to Square Meal? We are really trying to increase our reviews to further afield. We would love to see your blogs on SquareMeal.co.uk – please see an example here:

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/blog/1210/get-blog-reviews

I do hope that you are interested and look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

Ele

eleanor@squaremeal.co.uk

Happy walker said...

looks yummy!

Regards, www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...